Thursday, June 21, 2007

And i hit the road again....

The Sultanate of Oman

Thursday 14th June 07, 1600hrs, I head to the Sultanate of Oman for a nite, in order to renew my visa in UAE. Here, one is allowed to stay in UAE for maximum 60days and have to exit and re-enter to renew the visa. The nearest country is Oman, Qatar and Iran. Going to Iran or Qatar is kinda expensive since both countries are accessible only by air, from Dubai. So the best and cheapest choice is to go to Oman. So there I was, with a friend of mine, driving a 450km journey to Muscat, the capital of Oman. At about 1720hrs, we reached the border town of Hatta, a totally different landscape than the pathetic Dubai. Here life’s seem to be mellow, surrounded by rocky mounting akin to Grand Canyon on a smaller scale, with desert on my left and right. Stopped for last fuelling at a Shell petrol station and purchased the required Omani car’s insurance for Dh100 and headed straight to the immigration check point at the border. Got my passport out and got it stamped. Well as simple as it may sound, it took the officer some minutes to count from 1 to 60. Reason being, I entered UAE on 16th April 07, and was given a 30days visa but here, that 30days is automatically extended to 60days. So upon showing my passport to the officer, he has to count, by fingers and toes in order to determine if 14th June 07 is more than 60days or not. I mean, with a blink on an eye, everyone of you should noted that 14th June was less than 60days, counted from 16th April. Unless, of course if there’re 33days in May! Anyway, the journey was continued without any hassled, even at Oman border post. Paid my visa to enter Oman for Oman Riyal 6 (which is equivalent to Dh60) and without further a due, I proceeded to Muscat.

I was told that Oman has a totally different landscape and culture compared to Dubai. The first scene to greet me upon entering this Kingdom was rocky mountain (which remind me of Afghanistan… ok ok.. never been there but seen it in CNN) and when I reached the civilization, there’re trees along the highway… along the 400km journey to Muscat. The only green you’ll see in Dubai is newly grown grass with lotsa dung, from cow or camel along Sheikh Zayed Road. The first the town I passed thru was Sinas, made a 3 o’clock turn at the main roundabout, heading to Muscat. Next was Liwa, another big roundabout. Then come Sohar, and yes another roundabout. Then, forgotted the town name but remember very well the nice roundabout and a few dozen more before I reached As Seeb, with a sign ‘85km to Muscat’. Head straight to Muscat, passing Bawsher town and Ruwi and then at the last roundabout, at the Great Muttrah, make a right turn and head to center of Muscat. This country has soooo many roundabout I can tell you that.

At the last roundabout, I saw the sea.. the Arabian Sea. Parked my car near the Muttrah Souq and the Rolex on my wrist shown 2215pm. Was so delighted cause, Muscat is only 3km from Muttrah. And since there is something eccentric bout Muttrah, I decided to make a short walk along the Corniche and snap some photos. Nice street, calm sea view and majestic old castle on the rock. But since it was kinda late, the souq was closing, so missed the chance to make the stroll down the souq. After a quick bite and an orange juice, the journey continued and in less than 15minutes, I reached Muscat. Totally eccentric! Basically there’s nothing in Muscat except for some government offices, Minister of Finance building and Sultan Al Kaboos castle. Yup, that’s the name of the King, Sultan Al Kaboos. But Muscat is so classic and I like it. Around midnite, head back to town, about 15km from Muscat and the daunting task of searching for a place to bunked. Hotel is basically expensive, a 3star is OMR30, 4star at OMR76 and I settled for a cheap one without any star for OMR25, about RM250. Mahal giler okay! You can stay in Concorde in KL and have 3 glass of ‘the best the tarik in town’ at Melting Pot with that kinda price! Anyway, that nite, I was dead tired, slept til 11am the next morning.

Being a Malaysian and not really aware of local culture, I head back to Muttrah Corniche area. It was a bit quiet on Friday noon there. The shops, most are closed and the Souq was still sleeping. One of two handicraft shops selling silver product were opened but the price is pretty expensive. Was interested with one particular pendant, round shape, with nice carving in silver and gold plated, selling for OMR6. Hmmm if in Kelantan, KR6 is RM6, but since OMR6 is RM60, it was to expensive and the shop owner doesn’t seem to be interested in selling the pendant as there’re a couple of mat salleh there buying something. Opps… terforgot.. KR means Kelantan Riyal, the currency used in Kelantan, the French’s Speaking Republic East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia ☺.

With no place for lunch I head to Muscat for photo session and then to Sidab Street, another eccentric town 6km from Muscat. I was in an oasis! Cool weather, simply love the landscape there. Time to head home to Dubai! And since my stomach was a bit cranky, I head to the town area of as Seeb. Apparently, the whole of Muscat is made of few small town namely as Seeb, Bawsher, Great Muttrah and Muscat as the center. As Seeb is where all the shopping complex are and I went to a place called Markaz something something at 145pm…… and I was closed! A shopping complex the size of Llot 10, closed at noon. After getting something from M&S, I head to another center, named Muscat City Center and it was alive, at least with Carrefour. Carrefour is a big thing over here okay, so does in Dubai. Had my lunch at the foodcourt and I purchased me self a webcam! Yahoo…. I have a webcam now…. But I don’t have internet connection duh! Anyway, at about 1700hrs, I continue my journey heading back to Dubai and stopped by one or two nice roundabout.

Reaching the border around 2230hrs and head to Dubai straight away, as it was dark, no pitstop to snap photos. But while driving on Oman road, someone did snapped my pix… my car that is. The speed limit there is 120kmh, but since I’m driving at nite, I was thinking ‘wuddeheck! Try speed up to 140kmh la’ and I think twice I notice the flash light appeared from the speed camera. And to make matter worst, there’s hundred of the speed camera placed on the road… exactly on the road and not somewhere hidden. But I was kinda tired and wanted to go to my beloved bed as soon as possible. Anyway the Chevy Optra driven by me was a rented unit. Arrived home at midnite, after clocking 960km on the tripometer. What a journey eh? 960km in less than 48hrs.

Well, time is the essence and I don’t have much time in Oman, the Company should’ve given me a 4days 3nites paid trip instead in 2days and 1nite, so that I can explore more of Oman. Oman was totally different from Dubai. And the local I think if friendly Arab, and not like Dubai peoples. Full of poser and peoples from a country who drives anywhere but the correct lanes! And no one honking you any now or then, unlike Dubai, the car engine condition is second to the condition of the horn. The horn has to be tip top at all cost! Stupid eh? Well….. this is a stupeid kontree (well you hafta said it French lingua cos this is my French mate favorite phrase). All in all, Oman is a relax country, original country and not a state trying very hard to be something else. Making the trip to Oman, eventhough it was a brief one, an enjoyful trip. A country, is ‘travelable’ if the places are nice, the peoples are friendly and the foods are good. Oman might not have the kinda food I like (tomyam la, apa lagi!) but it is original and eccentric. Making my short stay there a fun trip.

Anyway, no good trip is like a trip back to home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

muscat sound mcm kucing..heheee

Suraya said...

suka tomyam eh? do u know that i make killer tomyams? *wink wink* :P

Suraya said...

uish. bila nak apdet ni?